Thursday, February 14, 2013

Savoring the Savior

I hadn't grown up observing Lent. 
Can't say I really even knew much about it.
Upon becoming an adult, God had been prompting my heart for several years to consider the spiritual discipline of fasting.
It took a long time for me to overcome the fear of the headaches I may incur due to not eating.
Then two years ago I discovered the Daniel fast.
It was a true sacrifice, but well worth it.
And it happened to be during the time of Lent.

Now each year I WANT go observe Lent...at least give up something in order to remember Jesus' sacrifice.

But each year I have trouble deciding what to give up.  While the Daniel fast was amazing, it was difficult to prepare and eat entirely different from my family.

This year I decided on desserts.  At first it seemed like the "easy...everyone chooses it" choice. 
Yet, while it doesn't change how I cook, it'll certainly be a sacrifice.  I LOVE my sweets! 
Not equivalent, in any measure, to the sacrifice of my Christ.
But it is a way of remembering, of being thankful, of savoring something different.

Savor...that's my word for this Lent.
I chose to read Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ by John Piper.  I wasn't even thinking about the connection to how I savor desserts until I began the introduction.  It's perfect.  I know what it is to SAVOR my coffee and sweets...in the morning...in the afternoon...in the evening...it doesn't matter.  And it often serves as some kind of reward...reward for what? 
I don't know....maybe just waking up, or making it through the day.  Sounds ridiculous! 
At least I've learned how to savor

This Lent is about savoring the right thing...my Savior!

Chapter 1:  Lord, reorder my disordered life.  Make me see you with spiritual eyes and savor your glory.  May my pleasures and affections be only on you...and may I give you glory and gratitude for all good things because you are the giver of all good things.

"We are all starved for the glory of God, not self.  No one goes to the Grand Canyon to increase self-esteem.  Shy do we go?  Because there is greater healing for the soul in beholding splendor than there is in beholding self.  Indeed, what could be more ludicrous in a vast and glorious universe like this than a human being, on the speck called earth, standing in front of a mirror trying to find significance in his own self-image?"  (pg. 15)... "Therefore, in the Gospel we see and savor 'the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ' (2 Corinthians 4:6). And this kind of "seeing" is the healing of our disordered lives.  'We all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another.' (2 Corinthians 3:18). (pg. 17)

Chapter 2:  Lord, let not our sickness keep us from turning to you.  Let not our weakness keep us from seeking your strength.  Let not our joy be robbed even when there's little energy to even smile.  May we be satisfied in you, and you alone.

Our household has been so sick this winter.  This past weekend illness had 4 of us wiped out.  It can be discouraging when the caretaker is ailing as well.  This chapter had one line that I said to myself over and over..."Christ is glorious so that rich or poor, sick or sound, we might be satisfied in him." (pg 21)

Chapter 3:  Jesus, thank you that you are the lion and the lamb.  These contrasts don't contradict. You are perfection!
"We marvel at him because his uncompromising justice is tempered with mercy.  His majesty is sweetened by meekness.  In his equality with God he has a deep reverence for God.  Though he is worthy of all good, he was patient to suffer evil.  His sovereign dominion over the world was clothed with a spirit of obedience and submission.  He baffled the proud scribes with his wisdom, but was simple enough to be loved by children.  He could still the storm with a word, but would not strike the Samaritans with lightening or take himself down from the cross." (pg. 29-30)

UGH...as is so common, I did finish the fast and the book and it was so meaningful.  However, finding the time to blog about the daily thoughts quickly ended. 

Ultimately I enjoyed being reminded of all that Jesus was, is, and always will be.  I would have never guessed that on this journey I would end up changing my diet completely...for Isaac's sake, but thanks to the beginnings of the fast, I was much more willing when the time came to try something new to help Isaac.  We are now eating mostly meat, nuts, fruit, and vegetables (unfortunately in that order...how I wish I LOVED vegetables).  It seems to be helping his health, and for that I am grateful.  Don't feel too bad myself : )  After this change was made, I had to remind myself that while the "diet" became about Isaac, I still needed to savor Jesus.  Still have the sign up on my cabinet.  I don't want to forget! 

Jesus, help me NOT forget!




1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you chose a word for Lent. It sounds perfectly from the Lord. I can't wait to hear more about what you savor this season and what you learn from our Savior.

    ReplyDelete